What are PSIRA Security Grades?
Here is a The mandate of the Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority – or PSIRA as we know it – is derived from the Private Security Industry Regulatory Act 56 of 2001. The primary objective of the Authority is to regulate the private security industry and to exercise effective control over the practice of the occupation of security service provider in the public and national interest and in the interest of the private security industry itself.
PSIRA Trained Security Officers – Mantis Security Grading
One of the objects of the Authority is to promote high standards in the training of security service providers and prospective security grading service providers. Training service providers are required by law to be registered and accredited with PSIRA before services are offered.
Key functions of PSIRA regarding Training:
- Determine minimum statutory training standards for the industry
- Accreditation of training centres and instructors to present PSIRA statutory courses which includes Grades E-A, Assets in Transit, Reaction Services, Event Security, Dog Handlers
- Evaluation and processing of course reports
- Liaison with SAQA, QCTO and SASSETA in respect of the development of NQF qualifications and programs for all categories or classes of security service providers
- Recognition of Prior Learning
PSIRA South Africa Guard Grading – How Does it Work?
The roles and responsibilities of guards differ and are dependent on the grade that the guard has obtained. The lowest grade for security grading officers in South Africa is grade D, with the highest being grade A.
PSIRA Grade D Security Guards
Grade D security officers’ main function is access control.
PSIRA Grade C Security Guards
A Grade C security officer’s main function is access control of a higher risk area and supervision of lower grade security officers.
PSIRA Grade B Security Guards
A Grade B security officers’ main function is access control in high-risk areas where documentation and basic computer skills might be required.
- A site or shift commander.
- Managing of lower grade security grading officers.
- Possible inspector doing site visits.
PSIRA Grade A Security Guards
A Grade A security officers’ main function would normally be a site manager or commander.
- Controlling and managing a number of functions.
- Managing the security workforce
- Conducting risk assessments and evaluations on site daily.
- Basic investigative skills.
- Problem solving.
- Designing security solutions.
Want the full psira registered security companies list?